Friday, August 21, 2009

Project File: Embroidery Experiments

It's been many years since I stopped working in a lab. There is something about working with my hands (e.g. running experiments) that is extremely satisfying. When I left that behind, I started to bake more. It's a different kind of science.

I also started crafting more.

Embroidery is something I've always been fascinated with. When done right, it is amazing. It can also be guilty of being a little grandma-y. I've been trying to teach myself how to do it. I'm the first to admit I am not the best at sewing--as OCD as I can be, I'm just a little too lazy with my stitching.

At the Museum of Art & Design we went to a free Etsy workshop on "non-traditional embroidery and fabric assemblage." It was fun to drink wine and craft, and the best thing was that I got to take home the embroidery hoop! I had been needing one so I could start the Embroidery Experiment.

Here's what I worked on at the Etsy workshop. There wasn't enough time to finish it--they started to hustle us out of there after 30 minutes. A girl can only craft so fast. I plan on adding some more embroidery and fabric pieces:















Here's my first attempt at crewel-esque embroidery. The green stalk ended up looking more like asparagus than a strand of grass, but I didn't think it was so bad for a first time satin stitch. The little yellow flower were practice french knots.:





















No comments: