Monday, August 17, 2009

Back in the 'hood

Dirty and Brad's ultimate frisbee league finals were this weekend and we planned a spectating picnic. The finals took place up in Inwood Hill Park, which is located at the northern tip of Manhattan. I lived in Inwood many years ago--it is one of three neighborhoods I've lived in these past 16 years I've been in New York. It was a completely different time of my life then, and that neighborhood holds a lot of memories for me. I seldom make it up that far any more, except to ride past on my way to Target, so it was nice to walk around there again. The area has become much more gentrified--there are fancier restaurants and a lot more white people than when I lived there almost 8 years ago. There's even a Payless Shoe Source now. I think the best addition to the area is a Venezuelan spot that sells patacones, or sandwiches with tostones (fried green plantains) instead of bread. Genius.















We ate some patacones, babycakes, homemade pickles and enjoyed the summer day, watching other people running around after a plastic disc in the heat. Unfortunately, Dirty and Brad's team lost early on. On the bright side, that gave them more time to picnic with us.








































































































No comments: