Thursday, August 20, 2009

Our Bodies, Ourselves

Our bodies try to tell us when something is wrong or something is needed: we have pain & swelling when injured, our stomach grumbles when hungry, our eyelids get heavy when sleepy, we expel things the body rejects.

I can't say I'm always attune to the more subtle signals my body sends me, but I've noticed something of late: I crave bananas [no euphemism there] when I have a leg cramp developing, from what I assume is caused by a potassium deficiency. Because whenever I ignore the banana thoughts--and I do, because quite frankly, I have never been that fond of bananas in the first place--within a few days I'm awakened by a horrific leg cramp in the middle of the night.

So I suppose the true test is if I can safely avoid charley horses by all of these bananas. The two could be totally unrelated, but I'm interested by biomechanics and physiology (yes, even for a PhD drop-out), and it would be pretty cool if it was.

No comments: