Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Rooster

Virgin Island wild fowl.

















I recently visited the US Virgin Islands. As expected, it was warm and sunny with beautiful beaches. It was also full of wild chickens and roosters (and donks!).  I was under the impression that roosters only crow in the mornings.  I learned the hard way that I was completely wrong.*

The damn roosters on St. John crow all day. And all night.  The first night they kept me up all night, but eventually I got used to it. And then when I got home, the crackheads on my block kept me up instead. Sigh.

*According to Wikipedia, "Some roosters are especially vociferous, crowing almost constantly, while others only crow a few times a day. These differences are dependent both upon the rooster's breed and individual personality." 

No comments: