Friday, June 25, 2010

IHNIWTM (I Have No Idea What That Means)

I work in a field that is acronym-centric. My institution, my department, my division, and pretty much everything else has an acronym or abbreviation.  Even though we are reminded on a yearly basis, I will never remember what RACE stands for (in case of fire):

     Rescue
     Activate the alarm
     Confine the fire
     Evacuate (I always think "Escape!")

We also live in a society of txt spk. I have a hard time deciphering it (look, I still write out my to-do lists, okay?), and the niece and nephew are not quite old enough to translate for me so I have to rely on Dirty and his 20yo interns. LOL, LMAO, NSFW, TTYL...that's about all I understand at this point. Someone at work hit "Reply All" to an email and sent a message to about 800 people that said "FML."  The saddest thing is, no one in my office knew what the hell that meant. (we looked it up: "f*ck my life".)  Yeah, we're old.

But as bad as I am, my friend Jamie is even worse. It is a running joke that he does not get acronyms.  "Let's meet in the WV for HH."  His response? "Why would we go to West Virginia?" Um, that would be the West Village. For happy hour.

No comments: