Monday, September 28, 2009

World's Finest








Most of us had to fundraise for something or other at school: band, student council, cheerleading, etc. I have very fond memories of World's Finest chocolate bars. Milk chocolate with almonds. I remember selling them in high school and eating at least half of the cases myself. I miss my metabolism from those days.

It's hard to find those candy bars in New York. The kids I know aren't quite old enough for it yet, and similar to the Girl Scout Cookie problem, it's not safe for them to go door to door. I have to rely on their parents bringing them to work and that's a little tricky.

Last week I saw a woman on the train with a case of World's Finest. It was 8:30AM and just a little too early for me to approach her about them. Then this morning the girl who sits behind me asked me if I wanted any chocolate (duh, of course I do) because she knew I really liked this kind. She had a handful of World's Finest bars.

Cue jumping up and down, clapping hands in glee. Then I asked her where she got them. Someone in my office was selling them, but didn't see the need to announce it. Of course I immediately ran over there and offered to buy every damn one of them. Sadly, only two almond ones were left. Even sadder was when I realized they had changed the formulation--no more whole almonds, just almond bits. I know times are hard and all, but the best part was biting into that big almond.

I still plan on buying some more, though. I mean, I have to support St. Catherine of Genoa School, right?


addendum: The coworker got her hands on six additional almond bars. I bought them all even though there are only almond bits. I also bought 2 krisps and 2 caramel bars to make it an even $10. I plan on sharing the love, not hoarding them in my snack drawer.

No comments: