Sunday, February 01, 2009

Return of the Native

I recently spent a few weeks traveling in Asia. As usual, it was a great trip and I got to spend a lot of time with my family. Also as usual, I toyed with the idea of moving to Taiwan. Like the majority of non-American cultures, it is extremely family oriented and seems so much more laidback. I could easily live with my family, work some random job (English teacher, perhaps?) , hang out with my family all the time (I have a gaggle of cousins around my age there) and spend my free time traveling. Plus, I'd eat well and cheap. I think the 15 cent pot stickers might be one of the most delicious deals ever. But like the idea of moving back to MN, the weather is not conducive to happy living, and there is the language issue.

Besides, I can't deny how much I love New York City. It is my birthplace as well as my city of residence for the last 15 years. Coming back from two weeks with a homogenous population, I was not struck by how diverse this city is, but by how many weird people there are here. Maybe it was my jet lag-induced delirium, but my first subway ride since getting back from my trip almost gave me a panic attack. Every single person on the train looked like they could potentially get up and stab me. Seriously. It takes leaving the city to realize how many NOT okay people there are here.

I have since readjusted and that insulated layer that lets every New Yorker become desensitized to the craziness is back in place. I am still keeping an eye on people who might stab me though...

No comments: