Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Higher Learning Gets In My Way

I'm all for higher learning, and I realize that I was once a new freshman undergrad with nary a clue, recently moved to New York City. But that was years ago and now I'm older, jaded and holding too many degrees.

The school year has started once again, and that means that my neighborhood is overrun with bewildered undergrads. Last week was Columbia University's new student orientation. I saw many packs of 18 year olds in matching colored t-shirts wandering around the neighborhood and blocking my entrance into the grocery store. And last night I ran into the market to pick up some fruit and the line was ridiculous! Again, I blame the undergrads. Grrrr.

Maddog asked why the NYU kids all had on matching purple t-shirts (apparently they do that at NYU too.)

My sister explained that it was kind of like how she wore her red summer camp t-shirt to camp every day.

Maddog responded, "They're all in camp too?"

Kind of. But with fewer singalongs and more drinking.


No comments: